Thursday, January 15, 2009

Think Happy Thoughts


Do you remember? Were you there when it happened?

On a very special evening in 1955, you and your family may have been seated around your new black and white television for something very special. Maybe your mom made some snacks for the event, since you’ve recently bought TV trays. And maybe, just maybe, she let you and your siblings enjoy a glass of Kool-Aid.

The event was the 1955 television broadcast of Peter Pan, starring Mary Martin in the title role. She had filled the same role in the Broadway production the previous year, and in 1955, this production performed on NBC television in RCA's compatible color. It was again broadcast in 1956 and in 1960.

At six years of age at the time, I was riveted to the screen and thrilled when Peter took Wendy, Michael and John on a miraculous flight to Never-Never Land. I remember the excitement of meeting the Lost Boys and the mischievous fairy Tinkerbell. And I fell in love with Tiger Lily who, with her Indian Braves, was always on the alert for that troublesome Captain Hook and his band of Buccaneers.

It was quite an adventure and a memory that will live in my mind forever. I hope you’ll take a moment to watch the video in the sidebar and remember it as if it were yesterday.

1 comment:

Yesterukes said...

I was convinced that I helped save Tinkerbell from her near death by clapping loud. This was one of my favorite TV shows ever. Still fun to watch the recorded version. Love this site.